Mint or Mentha – Varieties, HYVs
- MAS-1 The plants are dwarf and early maturing. This variety
gives 50% more oil yield with higher menthol content
(80-85) and yields 200 q/ha of herbage and 125 kg oil
/ ha .It should not be used when ratooning is to be
- Kalka (HY-77) The plants are somewhat taller than MAS-1. This
variety shares many of its characteristics with MAS-1
and is tolerant to several fungal diseases including
leaf spot and rust diseases. The essential oil has
more than 80% of menthol. Kalka matures early. The
crop of Kalka yields about 250 q/ha of herbage and
150 kg oil/ha. The variety Kalka is not recommended
for ratooning. It is especially well adapted to the
areas adjoining Lucknow, Sitapur and Barabanki
where soils are sandy loam and climate is somewhat
drier than that of the tarai region.
- Shivalik It is an introduction from China. This variety is highly
suitable for obtaining second cut through ratooning.
The herbage yield is 300q/ha while the essential oil
yield amounts to about 180 kg/ha with a low menthol
content (70%). Shivalik is highly sensitive to the
fungal diseases and pests prevailing in the tarai
- Himalaya This variety yields high amount of essential oil and is
not susceptible to pests and diseases. Like Shivalik,
Himalaya can be ratooned for two cuts of herbage.
Much like MAS-1 and Kalka, it can be used in areas
and conditions where only one cut of herbage can be
taken. The yield of herbage is 400q/ha and essential
oil is 250 kg/ ha. Its oil is of high quality with menthol
content of 80%.
Japanese Mint or Menthol Mint ( Mentha arvensis)
- Hybrid 77 It is a tall vigorous compact growing variety. It
produces 762q/ha of fresh herb, 468 kg oil/ha
containing 81.5% menthol (obtained from 3 cuts). It
is highly resistant to rust diseases.
- EC-41911 This is an erect type variety, which is less affected by
rains. It produces 236.5 q/ha of herbage and 125.2
kg/ha of oil with 705 menthol. This oil is preferred in
- Spearmint (Mentha spicata).
MSS-1 It is a selection from spearmint cultivars introduced
from USA. It produces fresh herbage of 535q/ha and
yield 253 kg of oil in 3 cuttings containing 60%
- MSS-5 It is a selection from MSS-1, which yields 690q/ha of
oil in 3 cuttings. It has 70% of carvone in the oil.
- Punjab Spearmint-1 It is an erect growing variety producing 209 q/ha of
herb containing 0.57% oil. The oil yields 119.29
litres/ha containing 68% carvone.
- Bergamot Mint (Mentha citrata)
Kiran The variety produces 239 kg of oil with 48% linalool,
over 172 kg and 39% linalool over parent